One of the best parts about being an ice cream mad scientist is the total control of what is added into your lovely concoctions. One of the most frequently asked questions I receive is “why did you choose that specific veggie to pair with that flavor?” Well, sometimes the shoe just fits.
When I started creating my flavors, I wanted to choose veggies that were complementary in taste and color to the base flavor. A big part of the Peekaboo Ice Cream ethos is not using artificial colors or flavorings – so keeping it real is (always) a big priority. Veggies that aren’t necessarily the most desired among the kiddos was also a big consideration. That’s why carrots caught my eye. Read along to understand why carrots are beneficial to our bodies, and the real reason why I chose to pair them with the classic strawberry flavor.
What’s Up Doc
One Sunday morning I was hanging out with my kids in the living room watching cartoons, and enjoying a hot cup of coffee, when I overheard the ever so articulate character Bugs Bunny utter his famous phrase “Ehhhh, What’s up Doc?!” And that’s when it hit me… Carrots! Carrots are so underrated when it comes to the veggie hierarchy, yet they have so many benefits for our health. After I finished the episode with my kids, I rushed to good ole google and started researching carrots nutritional factors.
The first thing I stumbled upon was the fact that carrots get their vibrant color from beta carotene, an antioxidant that your body then converts into vitamin A. Vitamin A is needed for night and color vision, which I don’t know about you guys, but my family needs all the help it can get in the vision department. Regular consumption of these orange veggies will also help to protect your eyes from age-related vision problems such as macular degeneration and cataracts. So, put down the reading glasses ladies and gents, and grab a pint of Peekaboo’s Strawberry Ice Cream with Hidden Carrots.
Raise your hand if you hate wrinkles and want baby-smooth skin again? That’s what I thought… Don’t worry I’ve got your covered, because with 14 organic baby carrots added in my strawberry ice cream I am giving you a hefty dose of retinoic acid, which helps protect the skin from sun damage as well as maintaining a healthy glow. Say goodbye to botox and hello to Peekaboo!
There are several foods that act as nature’s toothbrush and the carrot is one of them. What the carrot does is act as a natural abrasive that scrubs away plaque and leftover food particles. Since stains can attach themselves to plaque, carrots can reduce discoloration and clean the mouth when you’re not able to brush your teeth directly. If you’re a fellow parent then you will totally recognize the struggle (and it’s always a struggle!) of getting your kids to brush their teeth. Now you can feel a little more at ease when they are indulging in delicious Peekaboo, because they are still receiving necessary gum and teeth attention. You’re welcome.
Now that you’re all caught up on the benefits on our superfood “The Carrot,” try out this scrumptious chocolatey strawberry ice cream cake recipe. Don’t worry, even Bugs Bunny can make this simple dessert.
What You’ll Need:
- Brownie mix + ingredients to prepare brownies (choose a box that makes 9X9 inch square brownies.)
- 2 pints of Peekaboo Strawberry Ice Cream with Hidden Carrots
- 4 oz. strawberries (sliced, for garnish… we fancy now!)
- Whipped cream (to top it off)
- Fudge Sauce (to drizzle)
- 9X9 inch pan
- Parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line the bottom of a 9-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare brownies according to the box instructions.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool fully.
- Remove the Peekaboo ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now that this ice cream is soft enough, spread over the cooled brownies. Cover the entire brownie surface with delicious Peekaboo.
- Then place the cake in the freezer to harden for 2 hours (or longer).
- To serve, jazz it up with a dollop of whipped cream, a drizzle of fudge, and sliced strawberries.
- Now sit back, relax and relish in the fact that your kids are eating their veggies and they have NO IDEA!
Ready for more of Peekaboo?
Pick-up a flavor today at one of our lovely locations and learn more about the benefits Peekaboo packs in each pint. Can’t find a store near you? Visit our online shop by clicking here and purchase your pint now!
Stay in Touch
Check back for more deliciousness with recipe updates, our latest news, and so much more fun AND follow us on Instagram @eatpeekaboo where you’ll see more of our best stuff. And if you really love us, sign up for our newsletter. Let’s be honest, it won’t be the worst thing you do today.